Tuesday

Quesadilla Remix: Sweet Potato


Last week I tried a new recipe and completely fell in love with it, so I thought it'd be nice to share. Since I've been trying to eat healthier and include more veggies in our meals I picked up a couple sweet potatoes while we were out grocery shopping. I had seen many different preparations in my instagram feed and wanted to give it a shot. 
After flipping though a couple of recipes I was ready to give the Sweet Potato Quesadilla a chance. Growing up my grandmother used to make quesadillas for us as an after school snack. Her quesadillas were made with lots of queso fresco. They were fried and sprinkled with salt. They were my favorite, and as you are probably thinking after reading that description, they were not very healthy or nutritious. 

So here is the new twist --- The sweet potato quesadilla was made as a dinner plate, not an afternoon snack, so I really packed this guy full. My quesadilla included sweet potato, spinach, tomato, chorizo sausage, and a sprinkle of mozzarella . I used fajita size tortillas to cut some calories, and paired it with a quinoa salad. This dish was tasty and oh so very filling. 

The hubby enjoyed it and I made an open face style "pizza" for my toddler son.

After all of that yumminess I wasn't sure exactly how healthy it turned out to be, but it was veggie packed and only 9 weight watcher points for two of these, which to me, wasn't bad at all.

Ingredients

  • 2 sweet potatoes
  • 6 tortillas of your choice
  • 4 cups spinach 
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Olive Oil cooking spray

Preparation

  1. Microwave potatoes on high until tender (about 15 minutes).
  2. Meanwhile, in a skillet saute spinach, tomatoes, and sausage in a few spritz of olive oil cooking spray.
  3. Split cooked potatoes open with a fork; remove flesh and transfer to a bowl (you should have about 1 cup). Use a fork to mash potato and salt/pepper to taste (add a little milk to smooth if desired); divide potato filling among tortillas. Top each with veggies, sausage, and a sprinkle of cheese.
  4. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Spritz with olive oil cooking spray and place a few folded quesadillas in skillet at a time. Toast & melt cheese (about 3 minutes per side). Transfer cooked quesadilla to serving plate.

You can totally customize these with your favorite veggies. What are some of your favorite sweet potato recipes? Have you never tried sweet potato? Check out this article on 9 Health Benefits of this yummy veggie!

No comments: