Sunday

Peace and Love


I'm just a soul whose intentions are good. Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.

Growing up with a musician father, and music lover mother, I was exposed to a lot of different types of music. My father played in mainly Spanish bands, but at home and in the car we listened to a wide range of music. One of my favorite things to do when I was younger was to hijack my mom's Time Life collections of what I called "Hippie Rock" and play them in my room.

I remember watching videos from Woodstock, the Monterey Pop Festival, and other shows and just wishing that I could have been around during that era. Something about the freedom and rebellion just called to me. Of course I later came to realize that most of those people were on so many types of drugs, but still the feel of it was very appealing to me. 

As time has passed and and I have gone in and out of many phases in my life, this whole "hippie" thing has really stuck with me. Living in Northern California, I have the stage of the Monterey Pop Festival right here for me, I pass it each week when I go to the grocery store. I also have San Francisco so very close, plus Santa Cruz, which I feel also carries that vibe. That tug for freedom, peace, love, and acceptance just really calls to me, so on Monday while I was in San Francisco I decided there would be no place more fitting to get my next tattoo that right there in the center of Haight and Ashbury.

Hashbury, as it was called, was the neighborhood of acts like Janis Joplin, the Grateful Dead, and Jefferson Airplane, and was the epicenter for the Summer of Love. The tattoo that I received is a peace and love tattoo that is placed at the base of my neck. For me it represents all that I am and all that I care to be. I believe that I am so very full of love, my mission in life is to love, and the inner peace is the thing that I yearn for the most. I am learning how to make my surroundings give me that feeling, but I still have yet to conquer the peace within myself. This tattoo will serve as a constant reminder that the peace, along with the love, is already present within me, it is up to me to uncover it and keep myself aligned with them both.

2 comments:

Chymere Anais said...

Sounds so much like my own childhood. I would go to school humming bossa nova jazz and it made me the weird kid for the longest. Music was so big in our home.

Love the tattoo and the meaning behind it.

The art scene in California is one of the reasons why I am so anxious to start my life there next year. It's something so captivating about the spirit that lives in the lingering remnants of artistic ambition that I love so much.

~Chymere Anais

www.chymereanais.blogspot.com

Jessy Taylor said...

California welcomes you with open arms :)